WRJC

Adjustable Ball Joints

Offline AirWrangler

• Mr Fix it/break something else!
    • Anthony
Adjustable Ball Joints
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:31:54 PM »
I am apparently in the market for some adjustable ball joints. Camber is pretty off according to Tires Plus. By over 1 degree on one side (I think close to 1.6) and .8 degrees on the other.  What are some recommendations for some good adjustable ball joints that aren't going to push me too far into the hole?

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
Re: Adjustable Ball Joints
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »
Too much toe will eat up your tires. You won't really even know you've got 1 degree of extra camber when the tires are completely worn. Since you go offroad, you'll probably want/need new tires long before the inside of the tire starts to get below the legal limit.

If it bothers you, rotate the fronts to the back a little more frequently. I'd personally rotate my tires every month if it meant not having to do ball joints again.
Lone YJ'er with 5.3L LS engine

Offline AirWrangler

• Anthony
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »
These tires are beyond wear for rotation. They are cupping really bad. I do have new tires, just waiting for these to fully wear.

So should not worry about adjustable ball joints then? Just focus on rotating more often?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
Didn't you say recently that your suspension had sagged real bad and was worn out? That alone can cause tire cupping. There are a lot of causes for cupping and wheel misalignment is one of them but if the only thing wrong with your wheel alignment is slightly more negative camber, my personal opinion is that your old suspension was the root cause. Could also bad tires, poor tire to wheel run-out and/or balance.

Hard to say what the real cause is but I find it hard to believe that a 1 degree change in camber is going to fix everything. However, it's easy to blame that since it's the one piece of the puzzle that you can accurately measure and prove good or bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:59:03 PM »
8 degrees is a good bit.  Camber doesn't cause chopping it will cause inner(neg) or outer(POS) tire wear.  The chopping mostly caused from worn suspension or shocks or out of round tires.  I'd correct the side with 8 degrees.  1 degree more than likely will be fine.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Contact for gear installs or custom fab work.

Offline ColoTJ

• Rock crawler
    • Nick
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
8 degrees is a good bit.  Camber doesn't cause chopping it will cause inner(neg) or outer(POS) tire wear.  The chopping mostly caused from worn suspension or shocks or out of round tires.  I'd correct the side with 8 degrees.  1 degree more than likely will be fine.

It’s only .8° not 8°.

I agree with John. Your camber is fine. Make sure your suspension and steering parts are in good working order and rotate your tires more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Change what you cannot accept, accept what you cannot change. Jeep on and wave.

Offline AirWrangler

• Anthony
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
I installed a new lift on it and then took it to tires plus to get an alignment done. After that I drove to Maine and the nuts used to lock the adjustment in place for my tie rod came loose causing me to bounce all over the place. I didnt notice it till go to Dayton Ohio. That is also when I noticed the really bad cupping.

Yeah I plan to rotate more after I install my new tires. Just waiting for these to wear down a bit more before I throw the new ones on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
Totally understand. I've struggled with lock nuts and then I recently realized that you need to put these adjustable bars in tension and then lock the nuts down. Otherwise, the first time you out tension on it, it loosens up a little and starts to get worse and worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline ColoTJ

• Rock crawler
    • Nick
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 10:24:18 PM »
John you know that all too well huh?

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »
John you know that all too well huh?

Seriously... I fixed that when I got home and absolutely cranked on those lock nuts. Didn't even drive it or start it but I jacked up the body and I could loosen the nuts by hand. Might also explain why our tie rods and drag links always seem to have loose nuts as well.

Offline Richard

« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:31:26 PM »

It’s only .8° not 8°.

I agree with John. Your camber is fine. Make sure your suspension and steering parts are in good working order and rotate your tires more frequently.

I missed the . In that case I agree with y'all.

Contact for gear installs or custom fab work.

Offline ColoTJ

• Rock crawler
    • Nick
« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:44:13 PM »

It’s only .8° not 8°.

I missed the . In that case I agree with y'all.

easy to miss