Author Topic: ABS & Traction Control Issues  (Read 4062 times)

AirWrangler

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
ABS & Traction Control Issues
« on: October 30, 2019, 06:36:03 pm »
Makes me sad that I am the first one to post in here but I guess it is also fitting seeing I am Mr. Broke It.

So today on the way to lunch I noticed that my Traction & Control, as well as my ABS light are staying lit. However, I was not having any issues beyond that.  Until now. When I was getting ready to leave for work I notice that both of those lights were off and nothing else was happening until it felt like my brakes were engaging when I was going about 5 MPH. The Traction control light would go off every time it did.  It felt like it was mainly on my passenger front side. I came to a stop and just figured it was cause of the wet roads or something. Until as soon as I started accelerating through the stop sign. Same thing. Hit about 5mph and it felt like my brakes were engaging. I slowed down but it did not help. Pulled over and got out to see what was going on.  Didn't see anything immediately noticeable.

So I started driving again. This time I was able to get further before it started all over again and I could barely move. It was like the Jeep was fighting me from trying to go forward. When I came to the next stop I pressed the brake pedal and it was insanely stiff. No give at all but I still came to a stop with no problem. I eventually shut off my traction control and was able to drive with no issues at all. No breaking, no lights flashing except for the light being on saying I had shut off traction control. I was able to push my brake pedal normally after this too. So I stopped to check around the Jeep again when I noticed that the Main Traction control light came back on and the ABS light came one but I couldn't notice anything and I couldn't turn my traction control back on. So I shut the Jeep off and turned it back on again. The light saying my traction control was off was gone but the main Traction control light and ABS was still on and I did not feel any issues where the Jeep was trying to brake on me. I was able to make it home.

I thought it might be that a sensor is going bad so I ran my flash cal however it did not throw any codes. I tried refreshing a few times but still no codes.  Anyone got any ideas on what maybe the issue? I have a few. One being that there is still a bad sensor or a sensor going bad that my flash cal can't pick up, something got wet that wasn't supposed to, or my brakes are really old and one of them is trying to lock up on me. My steering wheel is straight and I got an alignment done in August. Haven't been wheeling since so I don't think it is that but I could be wrong.

Any help with this will definitely be greatly appreciated.

John Woodington

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: ABS & Traction Control Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:30:44 am »
I've got a scan tool if you want to bring your jeep over today or tomorrow and try that. If you're getting any kind of light, I'd be surprised if that couldn't tell you what's going on. I'm out of town after that until the Chocco ride though.

Annette

• Council Member
  • Rock Crawler
  • Secretary
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:44:35 am »
Hi neighbor, have you stopped by to see Doug?  He might be able to help figure out what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Secretary 2016-2018
Secretary 2022-

AirWrangler

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 10:34:58 am »
I might do that later in the week Annette. I am going to get my alignment done just be safe since I have a free for life alignments. It wouldn't hurt. I noticed that the Jeep will reset with all the lights run fine until I make the first sharp turn.  Then everything goes down hill.

Sorry Waternut, I just now saw your reply. I appreciate the offer though.

Tj todd

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 10:54:25 am »
I might do that later in the week Annette. I am going to get my alignment done just be safe since I have a free for life alignments. It wouldn't hurt. I noticed that the Jeep will reset with all the lights run fine until I make the first sharp turn.  Then everything goes down hill.

Sorry Waternut, I just now saw your reply. I appreciate the offer though.
Are you going to Chocco? I can bring my scan tool too. My wife's JK had the same symptoms and the scan tool told me exactly what wheel sensor it was. I ordered a new one when it came in I changed it but noticed the old one had a good bit of metal shavings on it and I think that was causing the faulty issue

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk

puɐʇsɹǝpun ʇ,uplnoʍ noʎ 'ƃuᴉɥʇ dǝǝɾ ɐ s,ʇᴉ

AirWrangler

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:44:13 pm »
I am planning on going to Choco as long as nothing else goes wrong with my Jeep. Got the tires off right now to take a look at everything and I noticed my brake pads are worn down badly so I am at least looking at new breaks. I tried my scan tool and nothing is coming up other than codes for my headlights and my radio.  Took it to Advanced Auto to see if they can tell me which sensor it is but they scan tool couldn't even connect to my Jeep.

Side Note... I now have 2 leaks in my radiator that I replaced about 5 months ago so this is getting real fun...