Author Topic: let's talk lockers......  (Read 3066 times)

Chesapeake Edition

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
let's talk lockers......
« on: April 03, 2021, 02:19:04 pm »
What kind of lockers is everyone running?
Front, rear, both?
Your experiences...the good, the bad, the ugly....I want it all before
I pull the trigger this summer.
Thanks y'all

Brian B

• Guests
  • Rock Crawler
Re: let's talk lockers......
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 03:49:08 pm »
What kind of Jeep?

I have a Rubicon that comes factory with e-lockers front and rear.  You can select the rear, both, or neither, but no way (factory) to select just the front.  I tend to wheel unlocked and when I get stuck or going to attempt what I think will be a difficult obstacle, I engage both.

John Woodington

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 10:58:16 pm »
The simplest and cheapest lockers are lunchbox lockers. Those are usually around $250-$350 each. You can do those yourself in your driveway if you are even a little mechanically inclined. If it's a daily driver, I'd probably only put one in the front since you're less likely to notice it in 2wd but it will be a game changer in 4wd. For an automatic transmission, it may be worth trying in the rear as well if money is tight. If you have a manual transmission, I'd avoid putting on in the rear because they just aren't very friendly when shifting and cause the Jeep to dart around as you get on and off the power. It's manageable and many do it but not the best solution for a daily driver.

You also have a full carrier locker like Detroit that are a little more friendly in the rear but still suffer from a little of the darting like above. These are much stronger though and cost around $700. The downside is, you will have to adjust the backlash on your gears when replacing the carrier so it's not super difficult for anyone with the right tools and know how but generally not for the average driveway mechanic.

The best all around is the selectable locker like the ARB, Zip, or Ox. These are all full carrier lockers and require some gear setup to install. You'll never know they are there until you turn them on but they are pricey at around $700 (Zip) - $1000 (ARB, Ox) each. Best solution by far if you can afford it. ARB and Zip are air lockers only. The Ox can be air, mechanical cable, or electric. Ox is the only one that comes standard with a diff cover and has a $25 optional extra of a drive-away lock allowing you to stay locked should you melt an air line or have issues with your air compressor.

Ribaki MikeandLeslie

• Administrator
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 05:51:31 pm »
John is all over this, great job.

From what I've seen, I'd highly NOT recommend lunch box lockers on daily drivers.
2015 JKU Rubicon/Sahara

John Woodington

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 09:38:02 pm »
John is all over this, great job.

From what I've seen, I'd highly NOT recommend lunch box lockers on daily drivers.

Granted my Jeep has never been a daily driver but I didn't notice the lunchbox locker in the front on the road. The one caveat to that statement that shouldn't need to be said but I will anyway is...your tire pressures need to be pretty close to even for it to feel invisible. Never even heard the clicking in turns that some people talk about. However, I did have to drive it home in FWD one day when I lost my rear driveshaft. That was a terrifying drive!

If you've driven with one in the front and it sucks as a daily then I'd say take that advice over my own.

Eluzion32

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 07:52:20 am »
Agreed, John. I drove mine back from Morris, last year, with a broken LockRight locker(engaged), and a busted power steering line. Thank goodness that most of the ride home was a straight shot, and very few small towns. I fought the steering, all the way home. Lol

John Woodington

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:26:37 am »
Agreed, John. I drove mine back from Morris, last year, with a broken LockRight locker(engaged), and a busted power steering line. Thank goodness that most of the ride home was a straight shot, and very few small towns. I fought the steering, all the way home. Lol

...but would you have rather done that vs not having it for all of the wheeling trips?

For me, the advantage on the trail was significantly greater than the drawback for that one oddball trip home.

Eluzion32

• Club Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 06:23:48 pm »
Oh, I loved having it. I didn't know the locker was still locked, considering that I blew out the power steering, too. But, the locker, itself made a huge difference.