WRJC

Excessive tire wear

Offline lex

Excessive tire wear
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:25:28 AM »
My tires have recently worn way too much on the inside. I’m thinking I messed up the camber when I replaced the all joints. How do you check camber?  If this is the problem, how can you fix it if the ball joints aren’t adjustable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
Re: Excessive tire wear
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:18:38 PM »
You can check a lot of things just using your phone provided you have a clinometer app of some sort. I'd question your tire pressure first though. Don't go by the door pressure....do the chalk test and see how much of your tire is on the ground. You can use dust or anything besides chalk but if you search tire chalk test, it'll make more sense than me explaining it. Your current tires could be underinflated or your sidewalls could be super soft and you need to inflate more.

Offline Oscar

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:17:17 PM »
^ this guy is on the right track but not completely.

The chances of you messing up installing the ball joints is ridiculously slim. Unless you ordered offest ball joints by mistake. In which case you did mess up.

Tire pressure will play a part but running over size tires they are generally of a softer compound and need rotated A LOT. I do my 37s every 2k to 3k.

Next check your toe. 1/8 to 1/16 is preferred. Running a factory tie rod even the mild offroading will bend that pos and get you excessive toe-in which will chew the inner tread off both tires in short order.

Least likely but still more likely than screwing up ball joint install is the axle is smiling at you. Jeep axles are weak. And the C s that attach to the tubes to the hubs are cast pot metal. Park on a known flat surface.  Pop the tires off and make sure both sides are the exact same height. Grab an angle finder and put it up against the ground and then compare to the hub. This will show you if your axle is out of spec. The specs are in the JK subforum in a sticky I made years ago.

If they are bent its not the end of the world. Offset ball joints can bring it back into spec add C gussets and a truss to prevent further bending.

Everyone should be installing C gussets even on 35s. I highly recommend a truss but you can do sleeves of you preferr. Ive never seen a truss fail but Ive seen dozens of pictures of snapped axle tubes with a sleeve sticking out.

Honorary Lifetime Member 2016-Present
WRJC President 2014-2016
WRJC Charter Council Team 2013-2014
SFWDA Director of Public Relations 2015-2016

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »
Great information here in this thread.  We abuse our Jeeps on the trails, and stock parts are more prone to bending/excessive wear that will effect tire wear and overall ride.  Shakes, wobbles, etc.  Stay on top of wear, it will eat up a set of tires fast!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Russ

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
My tires have recently worn way too much on the inside. I’m thinking I messed up the camber when I replaced the all joints. How do you check camber?  If this is the problem, how can you fix it if the ball joints aren’t adjustable?

I made Lex use my air gauge......
He had 19psi in his tires......
I sent him to the store to buy a new air gauge......

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »
Yeah, air pressure will do all kinds of odd tire wear....

Russ

Offline lex

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »
Yes but that isn’t what caused the wear. Just didn’t help it recently.

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
Yes but that isn’t what caused the wear. Just didn’t help it recently.

So what was the major factor then?

Russ