WRJC

Need a mech

Offline Peaches

• Brenda
    • Brenda
Need a mech
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:09:37 PM »
So I find myself in need of a mechanic.  I’m willing to pay, but don’t want to pay dealership prices. Someone who knows anemones and can help me figure out why my oil is breaking down sooner than it should (and before I have a problem). Anyone know of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline rob_jones

• New guy
    • Rob Jones
Re: Need a mech
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
Have you gotten an oil analysis to confirm that there's a problem? How many miles are you getting before it starts to break down?

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:14:44 PM »
Have you gotten an oil analysis to confirm that there's a problem? How many miles are you getting before it starts to break down?

Agreed. Blackstone labs is really good and they'll send you free kits. I think the fee is $20-25 and they'll call you before sending the report if they see something strange. If you send them the oil via priority mail, you'll get your report the day they receive it.

Btw...what makes you think your oil is breaking down too fast?

Offline Peaches

• Brenda
    • Brenda
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »
It’s dark and smelly. More a plastic smell than gas or antifreeze.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline rob_jones

• New guy
    • Rob Jones
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »
The oil analysis would be money well spent. It will tell you exactly what's in the oil. A diagnosis would be much easier with that information in hand.

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »
The oil analysis would be money well spent. It will tell you exactly what's in the oil. A diagnosis would be much easier with that information in hand.

Yup. Basically the same price as a basic DIY oil change and it might pay for itself in 1-2 oil changes since it'll give you an idea of much life you have left in the oil and how your engine is doing compared to other jeeps like yours.

Take a look at an oil analysis I did a while back on an S-10 truck after I severely overheated it when the thermostat got stuck closed.

Offline Peaches

• Brenda
    • Brenda
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »
But once I know, who would I get to do the work?  Anyone?

Offline rob_jones

• New guy
    • Rob Jones
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:32 AM »
Just depends on what is needed. That's why the oil analysis is important.

From the description, it looks like coolant may be getting into the oil. Oil that's been contaminated with coolant doesn't smell like coolant. It smells like rotten swamp muck. A likely cause for that would be a bad head gasket. But before I pulled the head off, I'd want to be damn sure that's the problem. It could be something much simpler, like a clogged or failed PCV.

How many miles are on the engine? It's a 4.0, right?

Offline Peaches

• Brenda
    • Brenda
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »
Just depends on what is needed. That's why the oil analysis is important.

From the description, it looks like coolant may be getting into the oil. Oil that's been contaminated with coolant doesn't smell like coolant. It smells like rotten swamp muck. A likely cause for that would be a bad head gasket. But before I pulled the head off, I'd want to be damn sure that's the problem. It could be something much simpler, like a clogged or failed PCV.

How many miles are on the engine? It's a 4.0, right?
4.0, and I’m expecting the oil analysis any day!

Offline rob_jones

• New guy
    • Rob Jones
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »
Please post the results. I'm very interested to see what it says.

Offline Peaches

• Brenda
    • Brenda
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:45 AM »
Oil analysis was fine, but I still have the top engine tick at 2000 rpms when the ambient temps are below 60. I need this diagnosed now before I blow the engine or miss any more fun. My choices are:
1. Take to the dealership and spend all my money plus some I shouldn’t;
2. Beg my Jeep club once more for the name of a reputable non-dealership mech.
Can you guys and gals please let me know where you’ve had good or bad service from?  Please?
Thanks!

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »
Don't know of any reputable places but I don't mind taking a look at it at some point. Is it something that always happens or only when you first start up when cold?

Offline Pandingo

• JEEP
    • Keith
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »
This is where mine is.

Offline Pandingo

• JEEP
    • Keith
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
SOB Built Motorsports
824 GA-247, Kathleen, GA 31047
(478) 298-3535
https://goo.gl/maps/mmSseKibnT32

Offline rob_jones

• New guy
    • Rob Jones
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 04:59:08 PM »
I found this online:

Jeep Diagnostics: Vehicle Noise
Ticking or tapping sound from the engine:

This typically occurs when the vehicle is cold, at start up. Once warm, the noise usually subsides or goes away. This indicates a valve tappet going bad. It can go on for months or even longer. It means eventually you'll need to replace the tappets (and keep an eye on your valves). You can get to most tappets by removing the valve cover.

Many Jeep vehicles (mostly those with the 4.0 engines) have tappet sounds that owners just live with (or add a little extra oil to reduce the noise). You won't hurt the engine running it with this sound. If it's an older engine and you're getting more and more tappet sound, I'd suggest keeping an eye on your compression (to know if the valves are going bad).

Once the noise seems to not go away as quickly, I suggest you get it to the shop or pull the valve cover and make the necessary repairs.. Keep plenty of oil in the engine, and consider using supplements like oil additives (Lucas, STP, etc.). These thickeners will help the valve parts continue working smoothly until you can get them fixed. Change your oil often - every three months or 3000 miles.

Does it go away once the engine warms up?