WRJC

Need help

Offline jjohnsondyln

• New guy
Need help
« on: December 15, 2017, 07:43:44 AM »
I have an xj I know I know let the comments about the xjs begin but I need help trimming my fenders to allow for more flexible room I currently have 33s and have plenty of room but I am going to 35s and would like to trim the fenders before I step up to avoid cutting into new tires so if anyone knows how or can point me to someone who does know how I would really appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
I'm a big fan of the XJ myself, I'm sure you won't see the comments on this site you will see on others.  Are you wanting to just do a corner trim or a full wheelwell trim?  Biggest thing to watch for from cuts I've done in the past is to not cut out or stay below as many of the factory pinch seams/welds as possible; or have the ability to re-weld if you do. 
Russ

Offline Oscar

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 01:24:39 PM »
When I ve done them in the past we would cut slits running up. And then fold them under and weld them to make new seems

Honorary Lifetime Member 2016-Present
WRJC President 2014-2016
WRJC Charter Council Team 2013-2014
SFWDA Director of Public Relations 2015-2016

Offline lex

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
The cut and fold will definitely work. Here's a a pic of my uncles on 33s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jjohnsondyln

• New guy
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 05:33:21 PM »
I'm a big fan of the XJ myself, I'm sure you won't see the comments on this site you will see on others.  Are you wanting to just do a corner trim or a full wheelwell trim?  Biggest thing to watch for from cuts I've done in the past is to not cut out or stay below as many of the factory pinch seams/welds as possible; or have the ability to re-weld if you do.
I just have never cut fenders and didn't want to go into it alone on my first one I have 2 xjs and I want to have someone help me on the first one and if I was confident enough I would do the second

Offline jjohnsondyln

• New guy
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »
The cut and fold will definitely work. Here's a a pic of my uncles on 33s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to cut a bit more than just a cut and fold tho I think

Offline jjohnsondyln

• New guy
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »
I have an xj I know I know let the comments about the xjs begin but I need help trimming my fenders to allow for more flexible room I currently have 33s and have plenty of room but I am going to 35s and would like to trim the fenders before I step up to avoid cutting into new tires so if anyone knows how or can point me to someone who does know how I would really appreciate it

I have the 35s on in this picture I just want the fenders trimmed so I can flex more than this

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »
I used to own an XJ but never went above 31's so I never had to cut the fenders. From what I remember, it takes a lot of cutting to fully clear 35's and there are various different methods depending on your needs. I've got a plasma cutter and an angle grinder if you want help. I've got a reciprocating saw as well but that never gives clean lines when cutting sheet metal. Also have a welder if you need to tack anything in place.

Offline jjohnsondyln

• New guy
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 03:25:59 PM »
I used to own an XJ but never went above 31's so I never had to cut the fenders. From what I remember, it takes a lot of cutting to fully clear 35's and there are various different methods depending on your needs. I've got a plasma cutter and an angle grinder if you want help. I've got a reciprocating saw as well but that never gives clean lines when cutting sheet metal. Also have a welder if you need to tack anything in place.
I clear 35s no problem only issue I have is flexing I hit fenders way before my suspension is finished

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
I clear 35s no problem only issue I have is flexing I hit fenders way before my suspension is finished

By clearing tires I meant in all conditions including flexing.

Offline Mark

• Mark Owens
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 07:35:41 AM »
I trimmed mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fleet of Jeeps:
XJuggy, 2 YJ's, WK (Other XJ SOLD)
Cummins 12 Valve 3500 Pig with sleeping quarters
and a trailer.

Offline Mark

• Mark Owens
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
What Oscar said works good, you don't even need to do any welding unless you do the full fold all the way back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fleet of Jeeps:
XJuggy, 2 YJ's, WK (Other XJ SOLD)
Cummins 12 Valve 3500 Pig with sleeping quarters
and a trailer.