WRJC

Tow with a Grand Cherokee?

Offline Michigunman

• SFWDA Leadership Rep
  • Trail Guide
    • Mark Armstrong
Tow with a Grand Cherokee?
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »
Wife is about to replace her Escape.  She likes small SUVs like the Escape or Ford Edge.  We have been toying with the idea of her getting something I could tow with a few times a year.  The Grand Cherokee is about the smallest I have seen with a tow rating over 6,000 pounds.  Next is the Tahoe which is considerably bigger and she wouldn't be happy with it.  This would be in lieu of me trading my Fusion for a truck which would kill me on gas dollars with my drive to work and I can't add another vehicle in total to the stable.

Any thoughts?  Depending on the package they are rated from 6,200 to 7,400 pounds.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline This.Side.Up

• Trail Guide
    • Justin
Re: Tow with a Grand Cherokee?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
What are you wanting to tow? It may have an ok tow rating but that short wheel base will make towing a big load dangerous in windy conditions and bad weather. Also consider the strain on the vehicle towing a 6,000 pound load behind a small SUV. If your wanting to tow a jeep I don't think a small SUV is enough. I wouldn't put my jeep behind one.

Offline Richard

Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
We had a 2004 grand Cherokee with the v8. It had all the power needed to tow. It pulled a 17' bass boat fine. With a 15' car hauler (empty)I thought I was gonna die at 55. It didn't distribute weight enough and sagged the ass of the jeep. You need at least a half ton to pull a car hauler. And with a half ton I'd add airbags to help distribute the load.

BTW I've pulled several trailers, even the kind you live in. Lol

That's the biggest load I've toad.lol
Contact for gear installs or custom fab work.

Offline Mark

• Mark Owens
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »
Show the picture of your hitch after moving my house down the road for me. We have a WK, love it as a DD and road trip ride, very comfortable, drives like a dream, but as for towing, I would be comfortable towing a "small" pop up or light camper, or small boat, but that is about as far as I would go with it. Even with a good trailer and brakes I wouldn't consider pulling your Jeep with it. A really good friend had a WK with the diesel, he bought a fairly light weight trailer with brakes on both axles, load distribution hitch and used it to tow a TJ one time up to Mountain Side in Gadsden, he said power was fine, but the over all wheel base and weight of the WK was iffy at best, he sold it and bought a truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fleet of Jeeps:
XJuggy, 2 YJ's, WK (Other XJ SOLD)
Cummins 12 Valve 3500 Pig with sleeping quarters
and a trailer.

Offline 68wj

• SC Emissary
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »
What are you towing?

This was in Southern California towing to East Texas.  Not a fun haul, especially up a canyon in AZ.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:51:48 PM by 68wj »
I prefer a 4.0 in my Jeep since I have the minivan to go fast and get good gas mileage.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
You know, there are better ways to protect the windshield of the vehicle you're towing. I kid, I kid... :rolf:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
***SOLD*** '07 Rescue Green JK Unlimited

- 6" KC Long Range Slim lights on windshield, sPOD switch pod
- 2.5" Rock Krawler max travel lift w/Bilstein 5100's
- JeepSWAG evap relocation, OBA system, and steering relocation flip kit w/Heavy Duty damper

Offline Oscar

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
i had a 2010 Grand for awhile. towed the pop up like it wasnt even there....... id be very hesitant to tow a jeep behind it unless i had everything set right. air bags. load leveling hitch. it could be done but my jeep is 4100 lbs and the trailer gets it really close to the max
Honorary Lifetime Member 2016-Present
WRJC President 2014-2016
WRJC Charter Council Team 2013-2014
SFWDA Director of Public Relations 2015-2016

Offline Michigunman

• SFWDA Leadership Rep
  • Trail Guide
    • Mark Armstrong
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »
Would be towing the TJ Brian. 

I know it would be pushing it.  Thanks for the feedback all.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline SandMan

• Today Is the Day!
    • Sam Baggarly
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
U would need a change of draws when you stopped for fuel and such when towing the TJ with it.

radartom

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »
I had a buddy who towed a TJ with a grand, he also had bags and trailer breaks.  I have dolly towed my TJ with an XJ from Oklahoma to NC.  It's not the best of ideas, but it can be done if set up correctly.  (I would never attempt that trip again, it was more a nessity then ideal setup).  If it was once or twice a year I would consider it an option.  Any more towing then that a half ton or better.