WRJC

Trouble starting Jeep

Trouble starting Jeep
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
For months now, my Jeep has been having a hard time starting, but only at random times. It is mostly if I just filled up my gas tank, but sometimes it will start just fine and drive, then suddenly start chugging when I come to a stop, as if it wants to cut off. Not sure if it's the fuel pump or something else. No check engine light. Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
Re: Trouble starting Jeep
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:14:58 PM »
Looks like a TJ in the avatar. What engine?

Also, does it crank and crank but won't fire or does it just randomly not turn over and then when you hit the key a couple times it fires right up?

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »
Looks like a TJ in the avatar. What engine?

Also, does it crank and crank but won't fire or does it just randomly not turn over and then when you hit the key a couple times it fires right up?
It cranks! So sometimes it just won't fire unless I step on the gas while it's cranking. It's a 4 cyl

Offline Nate

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
My old tj would only crank on the second time, turned out to be a fuel pump.
-The only place my Jeep cant go is past a gas station...

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
I'm not that good with emissions stuff but after a little research, it sounds like the purge valve/solenoid is staying open but it could be related to something else in the evap control system. When that valve stays open to your charcoal canister, the engine fills with fuel vapor rather than venting after refueling which explains why it fires up when you put your foot on the gas. In an EFI car, no additional fuel is added by pushing the gas until the vehicle starts so you're just adding more air which is improving the air/fuel mixture. If you top off your tank like I do, you'd be making the issue worse since you could actually pump fuel directly into the charcoal canister.

The purge solenoid is located in front of your brake master cylinder. If you need help changing it or diagnosing the problem further, let me know. Looks like about $46 at advance auto which will come down to $34 with free shipping (no local stores have one) with coupon code HCD7BX.

In the meantime, maybe you could bandaid the problem by only pumping 4-5 gallons of gas in at a time...or filling up some fuel cans at the station and topping off the Jeep when you get home and won't drive for a little while.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:35:37 PM »
For months now, my Jeep has been having a hard time starting, but only at random times. It is mostly if I just filled up my gas tank, but sometimes it will start just fine and drive, then suddenly start chugging when I come to a stop, as if it wants to cut off. Not sure if it's the fuel pump or something else. No check engine light. Please help!

Just put on your cow suit and go visit Toddy.....
He needs help digging a trench in the backyard.....

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:56:52 PM »

Just put on your cow suit and go visit Toddy.....
He needs help digging a trench in the backyard.....
I'm good.