WRJC

Shorten and balance and driveshaft?

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
Shorten and balance and driveshaft?
« on: January 15, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
Anyone know of a shop around here that can cut, weld, and balance a driveshaft?

Offline This.Side.Up

• Trail Guide
    • Justin
Re: Shorten and balance and driveshaft?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:02:08 PM »
May want to look into Krawl Offroad and have them build you a custom. Jason is one of our sponsors. I believe a few people are running driveshafts from him.

Offline stump

• If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying
    • Will Conner
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »
That does t even sound safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WHOOP-DE-DONT!

• "WHOOP-DE-DON'T"
  • 2016 JKUR
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »
It has to be done all the time, it's just as safe as having one made as long as the fabricator is worth his salt.

These are the guys we always got to build our hot rod drive shafts.

http://www.drivelineserviceofatlanta.com

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »
Cool thanks. They aren't real close but not too far if my driveshaft angles are too steep.

Offline stump

• Will Conner
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »
If you plan to wheel that rig, then I would look into Justin’s suggestion.  I have seen enough shafts break on the trail that aren’t cut. Just seems to create a weak point on something that will be under stress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »
Cutting and shortening is no different than making a new shaft.  It's really not uncommon or unsafe. You can take it to ga tool in downtown Macon and they will cut and shorten but can't balance. And they will tell you it's probably not need and it's probably not. However if you want one balanced you will have to find a shop in Atlanta. 

When it's cut, it's cut along the weld on the end then the tube is shortened then the end is welded back on. 

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Contact for gear installs or custom fab work.

Offline Richard

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:33:21 AM »
If this is for your yj I believe you can get the  leaf spring perches that will allow you to move the rear back. Not sure if it would be enough for your driveshaft though.

Offline stump

• Will Conner
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »
Ok. Cool. I have never heard of this before.

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 07:39:31 PM »
If this is for your yj I believe you can get the  leaf spring perches that will allow you to move the rear back. Not sure if it would be enough for your driveshaft though.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna be ok. I welded everything up and the driveshaft looks like it'll be pretty steep at full droop but looks like it's within tolerance for the 1310 u-joints and the slip yoke. We'll see in a couple more days when everything is all back together. A slip yoke eliminator may be in my future but we'll see.

I was considering the MORE spring perches since they had that option to move the axle around but they were also 7" long which is awesome for a SOA but seemed like a bad idea for a spring under vehicle....don't know for sure just thinking.

Offline Richard

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 07:45:29 PM »
Yeah I assumed you had a sye and was spoa.  If you plan to lift it just doing spoa will net about 3". Also if the angle on the DS is bad shortening or making it longer won't change that. You'd have to cut the perches and roll the axle up(or down).

What are you building this for? Trail rides and DD or just dd or dirt roads?

Offline Mark

• Mark Owens
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
The longer perches never caused an issue on my YJ's it actually helps combat axle wrap, you can also just use some degree shims to adjust pinion. (I assume this is rear) mine are sprung under.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fleet of Jeeps:
XJuggy, 2 YJ's, WK (Other XJ SOLD)
Cummins 12 Valve 3500 Pig with sleeping quarters
and a trailer.

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »
This Jeep is a fun vehicle so trail rides and occasionally I might drive it around town or to work if the weather is nice. So I won't say it's a dedicated trail rig or that I'll even be able to push the Jeep to it's potential but I'm building it with the intent to ride on some pretty rugged terrain.

Ideally a SYE and custom driveshaft are in order but I'm also trying to limit the flow of money into this thing before I've really had a chance to put it on a legit trail.

Offline ColoTJ

• Rock crawler
    • Nick
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
Cutting and shortening is no different than making a new shaft.  It's really not uncommon or unsafe. You can take it to ga tool in downtown Macon and they will cut and shorten but can't balance. And they will tell you it's probably not need and it's probably not. However if you want one balanced you will have to find a shop in Atlanta. 

When it's cut, it's cut along the weld on the end then the tube is shortened then the end is welded back on. 

I had GA tool in Macon do mine. Great people and great price.

Change what you cannot accept, accept what you cannot change. Jeep on and wave.

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »

I had GA tool in Macon do mine. Great people and great price.

Curious what they charged. Best I found was someone who said they could cut and weld it for $80 but couldn't balance. Between the driveshaft purchase, driving all around town, $80 for a probably ok driveshaft, and $20-$30 for all new u-joints, I decided to get a custom driveshaft made by Adams Driveshaft. It might've been an extra $80 or so when all is said and done but this comes with a warranty and is without a doubt more robust.