WRJC

Central Georgia Auto Salvage?

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
Central Georgia Auto Salvage?
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:08:09 PM »
Anyone ever bought any parts from these guys? Looking to pick up a Ford 8.8 to replace my Dana 35 and wondering if these guys are decent or if they're gonna try to sell me junk.

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
Re: Central Georgia Auto Salvage?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:10 AM »
I don't have any experience with them, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Russ

Offline TJ Todd

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:11:58 PM »
I would say most salvage yards will know about the same as you would from looking at an axle. Expecially one from a ford explorer they aren't going to take the time to inspect and or try to hide defects it's not worth their time. The 8.8 is a good option as it does have the same bolt pattern as the d35 although it is still a "C" clip axle and the pumpkin is much larger than it needs to be and u will find it drags and gets hung on more things than a factory tj dana 44. I was going to go the 8.8 route and had one I even welded the artec truss to it but sold it when I found a factory tj dana 44. The tj dana 44 is bolt in ready and doesn't have the dreaded c clip axles.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:44 AM »
I would say most salvage yards will know about the same as you would from looking at an axle. Expecially one from a ford explorer they aren't going to take the time to inspect and or try to hide defects it's not worth their time. The 8.8 is a good option as it does have the same bolt pattern as the d35 although it is still a "C" clip axle and the pumpkin is much larger than it needs to be and u will find it drags and gets hung on more things than a factory tj dana 44. I was going to go the 8.8 route and had one I even welded the artec truss to it but sold it when I found a factory tj dana 44. The tj dana 44 is bolt in ready and doesn't have the dreaded c clip axles.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight. The more I look at other options, the more complicated it gets but I keep going back to wanting the 8.8.

I've got a YJ so a TJ axle would require removing a lot more stuff, is really rare, and costs several hundred more even if you can get a good deal. The C clip isn't really a concern to me since the 8.8 has disc brakes to keep the axle in check. Might drag the brakes a bit but I've never heard of one coming off. I've toyed with the idea of getting an Izuzu Rodeo D44 since they came with 4.56 gears but the 4.56 gear options only came with drum brakes and the carrier would need to be swapped to make it a true D44 and be compatible with all the D44 aftermarket goodies. With a full carrier locker, I think that issue may go away but between gears for the front immediately, full carrier locker, and losing the disc brake option, I think it's more than I want to deal with and will be quite expensive by the time it's driveable.

Offline Waternut

• New Jeeper
    • John
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »
Well I picked up my axle from these guys yesterday and shouldn't really complain but will anyway so you know what to expect  haha. Paid for it at around 10am and they called me to tell me it was pulled and ready for pickup at around 4pm. Axle is in pretty good shape. It looks super rusty from the outside but that's kind of to be expected IMO. I asked if they could save any of the brake lines and e brake cables. They said they'd try and totally didn't even try but that was kind of a shot in the dark anyway. Still wish there was a u-pull lot around here but $50-$100 for new parts to replace what I didn't get could easily be seen as fee's to access the lot and a couple hours of work to pull the part myself.

I first called and got a quote for $150 and called a few days later to pay and was quoted $200. They did honor the $150 after asking around the shop so maybe the moral of the story is... if car-part.com says "call" under the price, keep calling until you get the best price. They did charge a $25 core charge which I thought was bogus but I guess a lot of salvage yards are starting to do that. Probably what they'd get for actually recycling the steel.