WRJC

Death Wobble

Offline TheGreenMachine

• Weston
Death Wobble
« on: September 08, 2017, 12:03:23 AM »
Well began having death wobble today. Starts around 30 mph. And yes I mean death wobble, steering wheel being ripped from your hands, whole jeep shaking violently, gets worst as you slow down and doesn't stop until you almost come to a complete stop. Diagnostics begin tomorrow, hope I find the source quickly and the parts aren't too expensive...

Online G-man

• James
Re: Death Wobble
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »
Let me know if you need some help.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon" -Doug Larson

Offline rob_jones

• New guy
    • Rob Jones
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:38:38 AM »
I know it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but my TJ had a nasty wobble when I got it. Didn't matter how fast (or slow) I drove, it would try to snatch the steering wheel out of my hands. I looked it over and the top ball joints were shot, there was an 1/8" of play where the track bar attaches to the frame, the steering stabilizer was worn out, and the tie rod ends were in pretty bad shape.

Not wanting to do all the work to replace those parts and miss something, I ordered a complete front end rebuild kit which replaced all the steering components. I also discovered a good bit of play in the steering arm (pitman arm?) once everything was taken apart.

Replacing all of that stuff was a lot of work, and wasn't cheap, but it made a world of difference.

Offline TheGreenMachine

• Weston
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
So far at least need a drag link, new one maybe terraflex brand? Greaseable and adjustable ends worth the extra price?

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »
Yes they are. I run the MetalCloak drag link and love it!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Russ

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »
If cost is an issue, as it was in my case, consider Moog. It's heavier duty than stock and is greasable. I did all my ends, tie rod and drag link for less than $300. OEM compatible. 

Offline TheGreenMachine

• Weston
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »
Update... Culprit was drag link and a loose lower control arm front bolt, and when I say loose I mean the nut was about to fall off. Also found that the stabilizer bracket that attaches to the tie rod had stripped and was not doing its job. Re torqued the bolt and installed a new teraflex drag link. Still waiting on the new tie rod bracket. Drove it today without the stabilizer and it handle nicely.

Also the correct tools for the job make a world of difference. Was able to remove the drag link from the tire side without issue using a bfg. Worked on the pitman arm side for 4 hours last night and couldn't get it to bust loose. Couldn't hit it too hard or would run into the possibility of damaging steering box. Went and got a ball joint separator/pickle tool today and had the drag link off in maybe 20 secs, literally took longer to open the box then it did to bust the drag link from pitman arm.

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 07:23:10 AM »
Glad you got it all figured out!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Russ

Offline TheGreenMachine

• Weston
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 11:42:35 PM »
Drove it quiet a bit today without the stabilizer, did not have to go above 50 but also did not have the slightest shaking in the steering wheel. I believe my problem has been fixed!