WRJC

Radiator Flushing

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
Radiator Flushing
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
Trying to do as much routine maintenance as I can on our Jeep's. Radiator flushing is on my radar. Is it worth installing the hose kit to flush the whole system? Or, is the process of draining the radiator, adding the flush solution with water, running it for a few days, draining that, then adding coolant just as good? From what I've read, it appears the hose flushing is more thurough. Thoughts?

Offline Russ

• WRJC President
  • 2012 JKU
Re: Radiator Flushing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:40:57 AM »
Flushing is typically more effective because you are going in the opposite direction of the flow the water pump drives fluid in, but only if you have a pressurized system to flush with. 
Russ

Offline Trout

• Past President
  • It's just a little tater water
    • Brooks
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
I've always done a hose kit for any radiator flushing its a cheap peace of mind.
WRJC  President 2016 -2017
WRJC Council 2015 - 2017

The Dude Abides

.OlllllO.

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
Awesome, thanks.

Offline TJ Todd

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
I do not use the "flush" kits I think cutting a perfectly good hose to install a Plastic  t with 2 more clamps in the mix is just goofy. Just remove one end (or both) of the heater hose and use water pressure from the hose to flush water both directions (keep radiator cap and drain open). U may get a lil more wet from holding the water hose to the radiator hose and the male barb fitting. But you are not cutting anything and it all stays factory.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »
I do not use the "flush" kits I think cutting a perfectly good hose to install a Plastic  t with 2 more clamps in the mix is just goofy. Just remove one end (or both) of the heater hose and use water pressure from the hose to flush water both directions (keep radiator cap and drain open). U may get a lil more wet from holding the water hose to the radiator hose and the male barb fitting. But you are not cutting anything and it all stays factory.

makes sense too. I'm definitely going the flush route though.

Offline TJ Todd

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

Using the t kit doesn't guarantee the water will back flush since it's an open t the water will just follow the path of least resistance. So a true complete flush may not be accomplished. If you remove a heater hose (engine side) u can force water in both directions by putting the garden hose from the heater hose and the barb the hose came off of back and forth then u can guarantee it gas been completely flushed

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:19:03 AM by TJ Todd »

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
 :;):

Using the t kit doesn't guarantee the water will back flush since it's an open t the water will just follow the path of least resistance. So a true complete flush may not be accomplished. If you remove a heater hose (engine side) u can force water in both directions by putting the garden hose from the heater hose and the barb the hose came off of back and forth then u can guarantee it gas been completely flushed