WRJC

Brown Santa

Re: Brown Santa
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »
Splined Pitman arm
I didn't buy a Pittman arm.
Don't try to remove yours from the splines......
Add the new stuff to it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yep
Have you checked:
Air Pressure
1/8"  toe - in
Ball joints
Tie rod ends
?????
When did your jeep start driving poorly ?
What did you change just before it started its symptoms???

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 05:23:14 AM »
I did a drag link adjustment when I did my lift, and I've had to adjust my tie rod after bending it, and that's all on a jeep, but I've re-built steering on a few other things over the years.

The entire front end of my 1964 panel truck is out of a 1985 full size, and the steering box is out of a late 70s Camero, so it's all custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if you're willing to help, let's give it a go. I would certainly appreciate it. I'm off Fri, Sat and Sun if any of those work for you. I work next Fri, Sat and Sun.

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »
Splined Pitman arm
Add the new stuff to it?

Yep
Have you checked:
Air Pressure
1/8"  toe - in
Ball joints
Tie rod ends
?????
I had horrible death wobble, installed a set of terraflex ball joints. That cured the wobble issues. However, the front end never "felt" right. It's gotten progressively worse/loose. Jason looked at it and said my tie rods and drag link were shot. I ordered new Moog stuff. I'm hoping this will do it. I've checked air pressure and played with different pressures. Toe  has been checked as well. Whats strange is most of the time, it worsens as the  vehicle warms. Early in the morning traveling to work, I can almost bet to work before it gets bad. Driving home in the afternoon heat, it acts up much quicker. When it's bad, it feels like pre death wobble if that makes sense. I'm scared to take it on the interstate, especially with all the construction. Now that my physical and other issues are better, I'm dieing to get back on the trails with my Jeep family.  Long story. Of course, any I put is greatly appreciated.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 07:04:28 AM »
Splined Pitman arm
Add the new stuff to it?

Yep
Have you checked:
Air Pressure
1/8"  toe - in
Ball joints
Tie rod ends
?????
I had horrible death wobble, installed a set of terraflex ball joints. That cured the wobble issues. However, the front end never "felt" right. It's gotten progressively worse/loose. Jason looked at it and said my tie rods and drag link were shot. I ordered new Moog stuff. I'm hoping this will do it. I've checked air pressure and played with different pressures. Toe  has been checked as well. Whats strange is most of the time, it worsens as the  vehicle warms. Early in the morning traveling to work, I can almost bet to work before it gets bad. Driving home in the afternoon heat, it acts up much quicker. When it's bad, it feels like pre death wobble if that makes sense. I'm scared to take it on the interstate, especially with all the construction. Now that my physical and other issues are better, I'm dieing to get back on the trails with my Jeep family.  Long story. Of course, any I put is greatly appreciated.
Rotate tires
I.E. leftfront to leftrear
  rightfront to rightrear

Try 24 cold psi.
35/12.5r15 load range c tires

How fast/far do you drive home ?
I hope you aren't a speed demon expecting a bmw ultimate driving machine experience from your jeep....

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 07:16:42 AM »
I don't have any unreasonable expectations I know my tie rod and drag are worn out. They have a lot more play in them than they should. I haven't tried air pressure that low. I'll rotate them per your recommendation. I still plan on replacing the tie rods and drag link. The Moog stuff is an upgrade over stock it looks like and they're greasable. 

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »
I don't have any unreasonable expectations I know my tie rod and drag are worn out. They have a lot more play in them than they should. I haven't tried air pressure that low. I'll rotate them per your recommendation. I still plan on replacing the tie rods and drag link. The Moog stuff is an upgrade over stock it looks like and they're greasable. 

I think your previous DW beat your tie rod/drag ends and also egged your steer tires....
Replace those worn parts then,
If you bought tires thru discount.....ask them to rotate & rebalance them for free....
Ask for Chad and describe you had death wobble....he's a helpful guy !
I think your on the right track to correcting problem !

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »

I think your previous DW beat your tie rod/drag ends and also egged your steer tires....
Replace those worn parts then,
If you bought tires thru discount.....ask them to rotate & rebalance them for free....
Ask for Chad and describe you had death wobble....he's a helpful guy !
I think your on the right track to correcting problem !
I did buy them there. Thanks for the input

Offline WHOOP-DE-DONT!

• "WHOOP-DE-DON'T"
  • 2016 JKUR
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
I'm off Saturday-Monday. I'm going to be building a winch plate this weekend, and putting my muffler back on. Where you wanna do it?

Offline G-man

• James
    • James Gockman
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
If Chad isn't there, ask for Nico.... another good one that takes cares of the club members. Some of us are planning on doing some diff cover swaps at a friends. He has a full size lift if you wanna do it there.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon" -Doug Larson

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 08:58:26 AM »
I'm off Saturday-Monday. I'm going to be building a winch plate this weekend, and putting my muffler back on. Where you wanna do it?

I assume you're better equipped than I. If you don't mind, we can do it at your place and I'll help you with your plate and muffler.

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
If Chad isn't there, ask for Nico.... another good one that takes cares of the club members. Some of us are planning on doing some diff cover swaps at a friends. He has a full size lift if you wanna do it there.
that's very generous, thanks. If Kenneth has the equipment, I'll do it there if it's ok with him. He's getting ready for a winch install and I'd like to see that. I'm ordering one soon. Could always benefit from having a few more knowledgeable "experts" on standby for tech support.

Offline G-man

• James
    • James Gockman
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
that's very generous, thanks. If Kenneth has the equipment, I'll do it there if it's ok with him. He's getting ready for a winch install and I'd like to see that. I'm ordering one soon. Could always benefit from having a few more knowledgeable "experts" on standby for tech support.

No worries... sounds good.... just let us know.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon" -Doug Larson

Offline WHOOP-DE-DONT!

• "WHOOP-DE-DON'T"
  • 2016 JKUR
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
My winch install is going to be me fabbing up some spacers and a plate because my bumper is custom. An actual winch install is just going to be bolting the stuff up and wiring.

We don't have a lift, so James might be your better option if he's offering. We have all the tools, but it will be on a concrete floor in a pole barn that we converted to a shop.

Offline Annette

• WRJC Secretary
  • JeepJeep JeepJeep
    • Annette
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
Are we having a wrenching party?

Offline luke35whelan

• I'm Batman
    • Lucas Shell
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
Are we having a wrenching party?

heck, I don't know? Trying to get me steering taken care of before the veterans day ride. If it develops........